Essentials of Classical Education
Classical Education is
- Language-intensive (not image-focused)
- Trains the mind to analyze and draw conclusions
- Requires & develops self-discipline
- Produces literate, curious, intelligent students
Subjects in the Classical Curriculum
- Foreign Language
Three Stages of Learning
- The Grammar Stage: This stage is generally grades 1-4 and is focused on absorption, which is why at Denton Classical Co-op, grades 1-4 focus more on the input of new ideas and information and less on the output of testing and evaluating.
- The Logic Stage: Children typically begin to enter the Logic Stage in about 5th grade. At Denton Classical Co-op, the classes in grades 5-8 are designed for Logic Stage children, and are focused on critical thought.
- The Rhetoric Stage: Children begin to transition into the Rhetoric Stage near 9th grade. At Denton Classical Co-op, the classes in grades 9-12 are designed for Rhetoric Stage children, and are focused on expression.